Exposing Myself: A True Reflection

Excuses. Procrastination. Fear. Non-Support. Insecurity.

Let me expose myself.


I have let all five hold me back from reaching my potential. So many missed opportunities, talents buried, relationships gone sour, depression, unnecessary stress. It's so easy to put it all on other people, expose them for all the things they have done to you wrong..but to look in the mirror, at the person staring back, that's the hardest thing to do and even when we do, do it --we make a promise to ourselves to never expose it.

Many months ago, I looked in the mirror and told myself..you need to expose you. Why? I had been depressed for those many months and I was fed up, with myself. I had allowed myself to make being so much less than what I was normal. I had made it okay to be like this because I thought someone owed me something for everything I had been through, for everything people did to me.

 I was disgusted with myself.


Excuse after excuse for my laziness, my procrastination, my inaction.
If I would act on just one of the various ideas that pop in my head a day, I would probably be a millionaire. 

What I find so interesting is that people work so hard to separate themselves from what they truly are. Those things that have stigma's associated with them. We have became a culture of such fakeness, we don't even know what authentic means or looks like anymore. We literally have to give people a warning first, "Let me be real." "Can I be real?" We have to ask for permission for authenticity. It's gotten to the point where people become offended by other people who are authentic.

I have bruised myself so much in the past for refusing to not only accept and expose myself for who I was. It's okay to sit down and check yourself because if you don't you'll only keep lying to yourself or coming up with excuses for being the exact opposite of who you want to be  or who you claim to be.

That day, I looked myself straight in the eyes and I said..."You low down dirty individual, get yourself together. You are worth more and you are better than this. Do you know who you are? Do you know all the things you've overcome that killed others.You are beyond ungrateful, wasting away those talents, those hidden treasures within you. So, you allowing those very people who told you that you couldn't do this or that, those same people you claim you never want to be.. make you afraid of getting to your destiny? Get yourself together!"

After about a hour of literally checking myself up and down , I got up, took a shower...washing away some of my insecurities (some of them are still there but I'm working on them). Did my makeup, put my wig on and snapped this picture.

Every time I see this picture, it brings tears to my eyes. To you, its literally just a picture, but to me, it's literally so much more.

When I look at this picture, I see someone who has just been saved. I look into my eyes and see promise, new found glories, and a whole lot of radiant, fresh energy. I see a woman who just exposed herself to herself--allowing herself  within (her spirit) to pick her up where she thought she was falling forever. 

Expose Yourself. 



Comments